Venice masks

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Sir Philip Sydney - The Bargain

My true love bath my heart, and I have his,
   By just exchange, one for the other given.
I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss,
   There never was a better bargain driven.
His heart in me keeps me and him in one,
   My heart in him his thoughts and senses guides;
He loves my heart, for once it was his own,
   I cherish his, because in me it bides.
His heart his wound received from my sight,
   My heart was wounded with his wounded heart;
For as from me on him his hurt did light,
   So still methought in me his hurt did smart.
      Both equal hurt, in this change sought our bliss:
      My true love bath my heart and I have his.
Sir Philip Sydney (1554 – 1586) England

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.