Venice masks

Monday 23 April 2012

A piper - Seamus O'Sullivan

A piper in the streets today
Set up, and tuned, and started to play,
And away, away, away on the tide
Of his music we started; on every side
Doors and windows were opened wide,
And men left down their work and came,
And women with petticoats coloured like flame.
And little bare feet that were blue with cold,
Went dancing back to the age of gold,
And all the world went gay, went gay,
For half an hour in the street today.

Seamus O'Sullivan (1879 - 1958) Ireland
Source: Verses; sacred and profane, Seamus O'Sullivan, Musnell & Co. Ltd., 1908

9 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce
    I discivered this peom today when randomly searching through a poetry index and I too think it's great. I love the line about the 'little bare feet' , its the small details that can make poetry great. It also creates such momentum in such a short few lines. I hope you have time to visit my poetry blog poemsforlifebypaul.blogspot.com. Regards, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Paul. I shall certainly take a look at your blog.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely Paul, I do so agree, that line is wonderful. I am new to this poem, and it was that line that encouraged me to look for it in an anthology for my grandchildren. Imagine the joy of illustrating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Wendy. I don't know about illustrations (which would be great) but it's been set to music several times - see
      http://www.lieder.net/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=12222)

      Delete
  3. I agree Paul, that line is wonderful. I am new to this poem and it was that line that encouraged me to search for it in anthology for my grandchildren. Imagine the joy of illustrating it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. learnt this poem at school in the 1950s and have never forgotten it. Paints a lovely picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was 10 years old we had to learn poems in class and this was one of my favourites because of its rhythm. It was 1944!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you share the answers

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.