Venice masks

Tuesday 12 June 2012

OFF 2 Fiji : hot airports - Vinepa Aiono

DEPART
Auckland International Airport
Damn ! its hot!! my salt water skin
eats my eyeliner and rubs my lipstick
in the crowded gate room.
No walkway just a cattle bus
herding us
across the airport tarmac.
My bra digs into my back
as we step up – striding -
and breathing
in the sun’s arms
that bakes the back of my neck

THEN sinking into sweet leather
of business class
I forget the himalayan hike.

ARRIVE
Nadi International Airport
Damn ! that power black out!
hot, heavy, feeling hounded
up a flight
down a flight
across the tarmac
stretching my bra straps
like ropes holding the main frame.
At last – processing ….
swimming in hot salt water
deep sea breathing
treading blindly
through a heated maze of airport signs.

THEN a taxi
for us to fall
into air conditioning.
Fiji.

Vinepa Aiono (20th century) New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.