Venice masks

Friday 19 October 2012

Explosion - Delmira Agustini

If life were love, how blessed it would be!
I want more life so to love! Now I feel
A thousand years of ideas are not worth
One blue minute of sentiment.

My heart was dying slowly, sadly…
Now it opens like a Phoebean flower:
Life rushes forth like a turbulent sea
Whipped by the hand of love.

My sorrow flies into the night, sad, cold
With its broken wings;
Like an old scar that continues to ache–

In the distant shade it dissolves…
All my life sings, kisses, laughs!
All my life is a flowering mouth!

Delmira Agustini [Pen name JouJou] (1886 - 1914) Uruguay
Translated by Valerie Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.