Venice masks

Friday 14 June 2013

To a friend asking for help (Capitolo 18) - Veronica Franco

Most illustrious sir, the capitolo
that I came yesterday to show you
was not, in fact, my own invention;
but nonetheless I can't thank you enough
for warning me that in your opinion
I should not send it to that friend;
and I am grateful to you for advising me
about what I ought to do
when I call on you to correct my verses.
I am greatly indebted to heaven
for the protection of someone like you,
and from you I receive more than I deserve.
Jealousy, which enrages my heart,
made me write what I did not say,
but the pain and anger came from my lord.
He first told me what to write,
and later he added many things
so that I should not suspect him.
I don't know what the truth in this matter is,
but I confess that I feel myself dying of pain
at not having him nearby at all hours:
and my heart persuades me to send him the verses
I composed for this reason, with the excuse
of sending him greetings written last night.
I ask your kindness to help me revise them
and so lead my lover to come back to me
and to transform his scorn into pity;
please keep yesterday's other verses,
and later I'll do with them what you wish;
and as long as my lover shows that he's become humble,
I will resign myself to all other harm...

Veronica Franco (1546 - 1591) Italy
Translated by Ann Rosalind Jones and Margaret F. Rosenthal

5 comments:

  1. I am greatly indebted in Heaven too. How wonderful life is. Thank God for life, love, laughter - and all it is to be human. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested in seeing another translator's version of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy. As far as I know, it's the only translation in print (from the book http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/P/bo3683318.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bruce- the reason I wonder is that there is a whiff of the prosaic in this version. But one can still hear the passion in it. I often wonder how much of a poem is left after translation, and I think the best translations are done by other poets. For example that translation by Cowley that you posted a week or so ago, Rosenthal and Jones are not Cowley.

    By the way, did you see the article on Charlotte Mew on last night's aldaily.com. What a mystery that such a poet is forgotten! I had never heard of her. Poemhunter has some of her work. Fascinating-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Betsy - I'll look that up. You may be right about poets translating poets.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.