Venice masks

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Banquet at the Tso Family Manor - Du Fu

The windy forest is chequered
By the light of the setting,
Waning moon. I tune the lute,
Its strings are moist with dew.
The brook flows in the darkness
Below the flower path. The thatched
Roof is crowned with constellations.
As we write the candles burn short.
Our wits grow sharp as swords while
The wine goes round. When the poem
Contest is ended, someone
Sings a song of the South. And
I think of my little boat,
And long to be on my way.

Du Fu (also Tu Fu) (712 – 770) China
Translated by Kenneth Rexroth
Source: Torre Wenaus website

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful poem. "I think of my little boat and long to be on my way".

    Once we had poets such as Tu Fu, Shakespeare,Herbert, Dante-

    Now we have Sharon Olds.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.