Venice masks

Thursday 18 July 2013

Life's Gifts - Olive Shriner

I saw a woman sleeping.
In her sleep she dreamt Life stood before her,
and held in each hand a gift –
in the one Love, in the other Freedom.
And she said to the woman, ‘Choose!’

And the woman waited long:
and she said, ‘Freedom!’

And Life said, ‘Thou hast well chosen.
If though hadst said, “Love,”
I would have given thee that thou didst ask for;
and I would have gone from thee,
and returned to thee no more.
Now, the day will come when I shall return.
In that day I shall bear both gifts in one hand.’
I heard the woman laugh in her sleep.

London 1886
Olive Shriner (1855 – 1920) South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.