Venice masks

Wednesday 7 August 2013

The Prayer of the Lark - Carmen Bernos de Gasztold

I am here! O my God.
I am here! I am here!
You draw me away from earth,
and I climb up to You
in a passion of shrilling
to the dot in heaven
where, for an instant, You crucify me.
When will You keep me forever?
Must You always let me fall
back to the furrow's dip,
a poor bird of clay?
Oh, at least
let my exultant nothingness
soar to the glory of Your mercy,
in the same hope,Godden
until death.
Amen.

Carmen Bernos de Gasztold (1919 - 1995) France
Translated by Rumer Godden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.