Venice masks

Saturday 25 January 2014

Greenland Song - Jules Verne

Dark Is the sky,
The sun sinks wearily;
My trembling heart, with sorrow filled,
Aches drearily!
My sweet child at my song is smiling still,
While at his tender heart the icicles lie chill.

Child of my dreams
Thy love doth cheer me;
The cruel biting frost I brave
Just to be near thee!
Alas, could these hot tears of mine
But melt the icicles around that heart of thine!

Could we once more
Meet heart to heart,
Thy little hands close clasped in mine,
No more to part.
Then on thy chill heart rays from heaven above
Should fall, and softly melt it with the warmth of love!

Jules Verne (1828 - 1905) France
Slightly altered translation by N. D'Anvers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.