Venice masks

Friday 17 January 2014

Sonnet XVII: I flee from town, and temple, and the rest - Louise Labé

I flee from town, and temple, and the rest,
where, pleased at hearing you complain,
you could, compel me, at some pain,
to grant you of what I treasure best.

Masques, games, tourneys are mere plays;
without you there’s nothing to admire:
struggling, all the while, to quench this fire,
and find another object for my gaze,

and distract myself from thoughts of love,
a most lonely woodland grove I prove.
But having wandered many ways, I see,

if I would find deliverance anew,
I must live far beyond sight of me,
or be sure to stay as far away from you.

Louise Charlin Perrin Labé [La Belle Cordière] ( c. 1524 – 1566) France
Translated by A. S. Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.