Venice masks

Friday 7 February 2014

Sakuntala - Holger Drachmann

I could not sleep for longing,
a flower-wind
wafted towards me,
streaming in through my window
like a fragrance-breathing river;
I heard the tall palm trees
gently murmuring
with music sweet;
it whispered where I placed my feet:
Sakuntala, Sakuntala.

You eternal Himalaya
with summit high
against the roof of the sky,
why do you send your springs
to meet my foot today?
Why do the scented waves
heavy with memories
purl past my feet?
why trembling does my gaze again meet:
Sakuntala, Sakuntala!

O maiden, you lower your eye
so moist and soft
into my gazing eyes,
as if it were at this hour
you were given the ring that binds!
ah, not a single hour,
a single day,
but a thousand years
do separate us now, I fear:
Sakuntala, Sakuntala!

You did not lose your ring in the river
Dushjántas himself
has flung it therein,
and should he not stem the swift-fl owing stream,
the ring he will not bring again.
Dushjántas in the grove of palms
will hunt
along the river’s slope;
he downs an antilope:
Sakuntala, Sakuntala.

Holger Drachmann (1846 – 1908) Denmark
Translated by Edmund Lobedanz
Source: Poetry Nook
Shakuntala is the wife of Dushyanta and the mother of Emperor Bharata. Her story is told in the Mahabharata.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.