Venice masks

Saturday 7 February 2015

My Son - Fatoumata Sidibé

The moon keeps watch
and the child sleeps.
His head emerges from the covers
like a flower smiling at life.
His breath is like a nocturnal melody
His mouth like a rosebud
My son asleep
and I standing in complete silence.
Oh body that was once mine!
Oh flesh of my flesh!
My glory in being a mother bursts
Rising from the bottom of my heart
like a myriad of stars
shooting across the sky.
Long ago
you sailed in my womb
like a boat on a calm sea.
In giving birth to you
I gave life to myself.

Fatoumata Sidibé (born 1963) Mali
Translated by Janis A. Mayes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.