Venice masks

Friday 10 July 2015

Fortunio’s song - Alfred de Musset

If you think I'm going to say
Whom I dare to love,
I cannot, not even for an empire,
Name her for you.

We will sing all around,
If you want,
That I adore her and that she is blonde
As wheat.

I do whatever her whim
Orders me,
And if she needs my life, I can
Give it to her.

From the pain that an ignored love
Makes us suffer,
I wear my torn soul
Unto death.

But I love too much for me to say
Whom I dare to love,
And I want to die for my love
Without naming her.

Alfred de Musset (1810-1857)
Translated by Frederick Delius

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.