Venice masks

Saturday 10 October 2015

What is love? - Anonymous

A love much-enduring through a year is my love,
It is grief close-hidden,
It is stretching of strength beyond its bounds,
It is the four quarters of the world;
It is the highest height of heaven;
It is breaking of the neck,
It is battle with a spectre,
It is drowning with water,
It is a race against heaven,
It is champion-feats beneath the sea,
It is wooing the echo;
So is my love, and my passion, and my devotion to her to whom I gave them.

From the "Wooing of Etain" an early text of the Irish Mythological Cycle
8th or 9th century, Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.