Venice masks

Thursday 21 January 2016

I was standing - Anna Kamienska

I was standing with my sister over the patch of grave
And we were speaking about some very important things.
The boy is doing better at school. The youngest already chatters.
If you aren’t mean to people, they’ll be good to you.

The apartment’s freshly painted. We bought a table, chairs.
A neighbour stops by sometimes, and says, ‘Your place looks nice.’
The plant that mother liked so much is in bloom.
I wanted to bring flowers but was afraid they’d wilt.

The air, tree, stone and earth all listen as we talk
And only the one for whom we bring this news can’t hear.
But perhaps she stands behind us and smiles at life’s affairs
And whispers, ‘I know, my darlings. No need to tell me any more.’

Anna Kamienska (1920 – 1986) Poland
Translated by Grazyna Drabik and David Curzon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.