Venice masks

Sunday 18 September 2016

Consecration - Muireadhach Albanach Ó Dálaigh

How great the tale, that there should be,
In God's Son's heart, a place for me!
That on a sinner's lips like mine,
The cross of Jesus Christ should shine!
Christ Jesus, bend me to Thy will,
My feet to urge, my griefs to still;
That even my flesh and blood may be
A temple sanctified to Thee.
No rest, no calm, my soul may win,
Because my body craves to sin,
Till Thou, dear Lord, Thyself impart
Peace to my head, light to my heart.
May consecration come from far,
Soft shining like the evening star!
My toilsome path make plain to me,
Until I come to rest in Thee.

Muireadhach Albanach Ó Dálaigh or Murdoch O'Daly (13th century) Ireland
Source: The Poem-Book of the Gael, Edited by Eleanor Hull, Chatto & Windus, 1913

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Muireadhach is my ancestor. Always good to see his words still alive and appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.