Venice masks

Thursday 2 March 2017

In Search of - Magtymguly Pyragy

My country is Etrek, my people are Goklen,
I am in search of love,
My soul is filled with turbulence,
I am in search of the Sufi leader to bless me with power.
I am far from my parents,
From my motherland, the iris of my eyes,
Losing life is easier than separation,
I am in search for a market to sell my goods.

Mammetsapa is my brother,
Mullah Mati is my classmate,
If Abdullah returns, my dear sibling,
I am in search for the Prophet’s blessing.

There is so much grief deep in my heart,
Blood filled my eyes, flowing down,
Fate is not a friend to trust,
I am in search of the grave to escape.

Sonu Dag, my pride,
I walk atop your peak,
I am a hunter hunting for mountain deer,
I am in search of a black shiny snake.

Magtymguly, this world,
Brought so much sorrow and grief.
Oh, my Turkmen nation! Oh, all mankind!
I am in search of a free-flowing stream and a ford to cross.

Magtymguly Pyragy (1724 - 1783) Turkmenistan
Translated by Paul Michael Taylor
Source: Smithsonian Asian Cultural History Program

2 comments:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.