Sunday, 30 July 2017

A Little Bird I Am - Madame Guyon

A little bird I am,
Shut in from fields of air,
And in my cage I sit and sing,
To him who placed me there;
Well pleased a prisoner to be,
Because, my God, it pleases thee!

Naught have I else to do,
I sing the whole day long;
And he whom I most love to please
Doth listen to my song;
He caught and bound my wandering wing,
And still he bends to hear me sing.

Thou hast an ear to hear,
A heart to love and bless;
And though my notes were e'er so rude,
Thou wouldst not hear the less;
Because thou knowest as they fall,
That love, sweet love, inspires them all.

My cage confines me round.
Abroad I cannot fly;
But though my wing is closely bound.
My heart's at liberty;
My prison walls cannot control
The flight, the freedom of the soul.

Oh, it is good to soar,
These bolts and bars above,
To him whose purpose I adore,
Whose providence I love;
And in thy mighty will to find
The joy, the freedom of the mind.

(Written in the Bastille)

Jeanne-Marie Bouvier de la Motte-Guyon (commonly known as Madame Guyon) (1648 – 1717)
Translated by Prof. T. C. Upham
Source: World's great religious poetry by Caroline Miles Hill, Macmillan, 1923

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you.