Venice masks

Tuesday 14 November 2017

Rear View Mirror - Cheela Chilala

Sweaty hands gripping the wheel
Perspiration on my brow,
My feet weary and my shoes worn,
I drive through life's tough terrain

Eyes fixed on the road ahead,
Heart gripped by the hands of destiny,
Facing obstacles small and big,
I drive through life's tough terrain

Destiny beckons, the present gives way
And the past falls fast in multi-coloured images
Dancing in the rearview mirror:
Images of triumph and failure
Of joy and sadness, pain and gain
Of dreams achieved and dreams lost
Images which disappear with each sharp turn taken,
Each hill ascended and each valley traversed

With difficulty I keep my eyes
Fixed on the meandering, bumpy road ahead,
Taking the occasional glance in the rearview mirror
Taking but a little rest at each lay-by
Now and again turning off the road to refuel.

Cheela Chilala (born 1965) Zambia
Source: BBC Radio Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.