Venice masks

Friday 23 February 2018

Head Ransom (excerpt) - Snorri Sturluson

West over water I fared
bearing poetry's waves to the shore
of the war-god's heart;
my course was set.
I launched my oaken craft
at the breaking of ice,
loaded my cargo of praise
aboard my longboat aft.

The warrior welcomed me,
to him my praise is due.
I carry Odin's mead
to England's meadows.
The leader I laud,
sing surely his praise;
I ask to be heard,
an ode I can devise.

Snorri Sturluson (1179 - 1241) Iceland
From Egil's Saga
Translated by Bernard Scudder
Source: Hurstwig.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.